Thank you to our neighbours, friends and visitors for your patience as we carry out essential work and improvements to make a world-class museum for everyone who lives in and visits Manchester.
Our neighbours can find further information below.
More information for local residents
The 1830 Station and Warehouse has come down following initial repair work, while the Power Hall scaffolding was dismantled in Autumn 2022.
As part of our essential repair work to New Warehouse, it will be fully or partially covered in scaffolding from early 2024 to Summer 2025 and we are working with contractors to keep disruption to a minimum and within normal working hours.
We will do our utmost to ensure that minimal work takes place out of normal working hours. The new technology that is being installed as part of the museum's £4.3 million decarbonisation project will not be noisy and we have appointed consultants to undertake pre- and post-project acoustic surveys to ensure this is the case.
Current planning and listed building consent applications can be accessed on the Manchester City Council website.
The required Planning and Listed Building Consent applications have sometimes been split into several separate applications due to the different Listings of the buildings and the deadlines for the Government's Public Sector Decarbonisation Scheme.
Approved and live applications are listed below with the application reference number. Please use the reference number to find the relevant application.
- Planning permission submitted to replace our historic roof, repair water ingress and fix masonry issues with the building. We are expecting a determination from Manchester City Council in early December – 138260/FO/2023
Recent approved applications
- Listed building consent for fire protection remediating works including works to stud walls and fire doors – 137802/LO/2023Listed Building Consent for Timber Repairs and Strengthening for the Power Hall roof – 131290/LO/2021
Power Hall and decarbonisation
- Listed Building Consent for internal gallery refurbishment at the Power Hall including works to remove, replace and reinstate flooring, remove and replace internal platforms, balustrades and installation of services and associated works – 137397/LO/2023
- Planning application for reinstatement of Power Hall roof, installation of new windows and doors and stripping of external services and removal of railway doors – 131488/FO/2021
- Listed Building consent for reinstatement of Power Hall roof, new windows and doors, new internal services, fabric repairs and removal of 1980s internal platform and railway doors - 131489/LO/2021
- Listed Building Consent for Timber Repairs and Strengthening for the Power Hall roof – 131290/LO/2021
- Listed building consent for the removal of the Power Hall roof during refurbishment and repair works – 130615/LO/2021
- Planning application for Removal of the Power Hall roof during refurbishment and repair works – 130614/FO/2021
- Listed building consent for installation of a services trench within the curtilage of the Grade II Listed New Warehouse – 130173/LO/2021
- Listed building consent for alterations to the Grade I Listed 1830 Warehouse for the creation of openings and the installation of pipework plus the introduction of a services trench and borehole cover within its curtilage – 130172/LO/2021
- Planning application for External works to the Boiler Room including removal of an external staircase and making good in addition to the installation of a new balustrade and new doors – 130171/FO/2021
- Listed building consent for alterations to the Grade II Listed Power Hall for the creation of openings and the installation of plant plus the introduction of a services trench within its curtilage – 130170/LO/2021
- Planning permission for the replacement of structural glazing and repairs to masonry, timber and metalwork – 136466/FO/2023
- Listed building consent for the replacement of structural glazing and repairs to masonry, timber and metalwork – 136467/FO/2023
- Listed building consent for reprofiling of valley gutters, repairs to roof trusses and replacement of torching to Bay 4 within the 1830 Warehouse roof – 136747/LO/2023
- Listed building consent for fire protection remediating works including works to stud walls and fire doors - 137070/LO/2023
- Listed building consent for fire protection remediating works including works to stud walls and fire doors – 137071/LO/2023
Formal comments on the applications can be made directly to Manchester City Council via the public access system and then navigating to the specific application.
The New Warehouse remains open with plenty to see and enjoy including our new Special Exhibitions Gallery, Revolution Manchester, Textiles and Experiment galleries, plus a changing programme of major exhibitions. As work continues to progress in New Warehouse, we'll also be delivering a special programme of engagement to celebrate live engineering happening onsite. We hope you'll join us in the museum soon.
Visit the What's on section for full listings.
We will be sharing more information about the plans for the site from January 2024 onwards and we would welcome any suggestions and ideas. We'll be in touch to let you know about these in due course.
We continue to liaise regularly with Manchester City Council to ensure that all necessary measures are provided to ensure safety for pedestrians while scaffolding is in place. We have recently installed traffic blocks on Liverpool Road for example, to deter nuisance parking.
All current information will be hosted in our We are changing section and this neighbours page, so please do keep checking back.
For any questions around current planning applications please contact email@example.com.
For any other questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.