Bookings are now open for school visits on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from September to 22 October 2021.
Our offer has been adapted to ensure the safety of all visitors and adhere to government guidance.
Explore the museum with a set itinerary to support you moving safely through our spaces. We can admit three established bubbles of up to 35 people per day.
Time slots available are 10.00, 11.00 and 12.30. We recommend a 2-hour visit.
Download our activity sheets to provide a focus for questioning and discovery (or you are welcome to bring your own).
Please read the What else do I need to know? section below and have this information ready:
- Name, address and postcode of the school/organisation
- Email address of the school/organisation
- Visit organiser's name, email address and mobile number
- Number of children and age group
- Number of adults
- Any special arrangements required
- To maintain social distancing, we can accommodate an established bubble of up to 35 people per time slot (students and adults). The adult to student ratio should be at least 1:4 for Early Years, 1:8 for KS2 and 1:10 for KS3 upwards. Proactive supervision is required at all times.
- To allow plenty of space for social distancing we are allowing only three school self-guided visits per available day with staggered entry. The museum will also be open to members of the public.
- You must pre-book your visit date and arrival time. If you arrive late for your entry slot we will do our best to admit you as soon as we can.
- Toilet facilities are available throughout the museum and these facilities are also open to members of the public.
- Please help us to keep everyone safe by wearing a face covering when indoors at the museum, unless you are exempt. In asking visitors to wear a face covering, in line with government guidance, we are seeking to ensure everyone can enjoy their visit to the museum safely.
- An enhanced cleaning regime is in place and hand sanitisers are located throughout the museum.
- There is an indoor picnic area in our Bistro but this cannot be pre-booked. This picnic area is shared with members of the public.
- If you leave the museum your group will not be able to re-enter, except in the case of an evacuation.
- Your class will enter and leave via the main entrance and exit along with other visitors. We will have social distancing in place to ensure everyone’s safety.
- We cannot currently provide free storage for coats and bags.
- New Warehouse is open. There is a one-way system around these areas that we ask your group to follow during your visit.
- School groups are not currently allowed to visit our shops or cafes.
- Read our health and safety information and hazard identification sheet to help you complete your risk assessment.
- Our insurance confirmation letter (PDF) provides details about our public liability insurance.
- For more information, please visit our FAQs page.
If you are unable to make your visit due to a COVID-19 case or any other reason, you must let us know as soon as possible. See our full booking terms.
If any member of your school group bubble has tested positive for COVID-19 or there is a suspected case pending testing, please do not proceed with your visit to the museum and contact us to rearrange or cancel your visit as soon as possible.
If you are unable to make your visit for any other reason, please tell us in writing at least 28 days prior to the visit to rearrange or cancel, otherwise charges will apply.