We cannot wait to welcome you to the Science and Industry Museum for your forthcoming school trip. Use the information on this page to help you prepare.
We have a range of free activities and resources to supercharge your visit by inspiring curiosity, questioning and learning.
- Your e-tickets show your arrival time of 10.30–10.45. If you are late we will do our best to admit you as soon as we can.
- Enter via the Main Entrance.
- Have your tickets—on your phone or printed—ready to scan the QR code. (You may need to download images for the QR code to show).
- Head into the museum to explore explore ideas that change the world.
- Check what's open to plan your visit.
- Explore the museum using your set itinerary: 30 minutes to explore Revolution Manchester and the Textiles Gallery, 30 minutes in Experiment and 45 minutes in the Top Secret exhibition.
- Download our gallery activities to provide a focus.
- Remind students that they are visiting a public building that's different from school, and they must respect social distancing from other people outside of their bubble.
- Brief accompanying adults that proactive supervision is required at all times.
- Your class will enter and leave via the main entrance and exit along with other visitors. We will have social distance measures in place to ensure everyone's safety.
- There is no storage for coats and bags. Ask students to travel light as they will need to keep belongings with them.
- There is an indoor picnic area in our Bistro but this cannot be pre-booked. This picnic area is shared with members of the public.
- School groups are not currently allowed to visit our shops or cafés.
- If you leave the museum your group will not be able to re-enter, except in the case of an evacuation.
- We can accommodate up to 35 people in the same bubble (students and accompanying adults).
- To allow plenty of space for social distancing we are allowing only one school self-guided visit per day. The museum will also be open to members of the public.
- Toilet facilities are available throughout the museum, open to all visitors. Students must follow signage explaining how many people can use the facilities at a time.
- Face coverings must be worn by anyone over the age of 11 unless they are exempt. This is in line with government guidelines.
- An enhanced cleaning regime is in place and hand sanitisers are located throughout the museum.
- To maintain social distancing, our lifts are reserved for people who need to use them. Please take the stairs to move between floors.
- Read our health and safety information and hazard identification sheet to help you complete your risk assessment.
- Our insurance confirmation letter (PDF) provides details about our public liability insurance.
- For more information about our COVID-19 safety measures, please visit our FAQs page.
If you are unable to make your visit due to a COVID-19 case or any other reason, you must let us know as soon as possible. See our full booking terms.
If any member of your school group bubble has tested positive for COVID-19 or there is a suspected case pending testing, please do not proceed with your visit to the museum and contact us to rearrange or cancel your visit as soon as possible.
If you are unable to make your visit for any other reason, please tell us in writing at least 28 days prior to the visit to rearrange or cancel, otherwise charges will apply.