Bring learning to life with a visit to the museum and discover inspiring objects and stories.
The museum is temporarily closed in line with nationwide coronavirus restrictions. Once the national lockdown ends on 2 December, Greater Manchester will be subject to Tier 3 restrictions, so the museum will remain temporarily closed.
In the New Year we hope to welcome back formal education groups of all ages to give you and your students the opportunity to explore the museum's galleries on a self-guided visit.
Explore the museum with a set itinerary to support you moving safely through our spaces:
- 10.30–11.00: Revolution Manchester and Textiles Gallery
- 11.00–11.30: Experiment interactive gallery
- 11.30-12.00: Air and Space Hall
Download our activity sheets to provide a focus for questioning and discovery (or you are welcome to bring your own).
Please read the What else do I need to know? section below and have this information ready:
- Name, address and postcode of the school/organisation.
- Email address of the school/organisation.
- Visit organiser's name, email address and mobile number.
- Number of children and age group.
- Number of adults.
- Any special arrangements required.
- Only one school group will be exploring the museum per day. The museum will also be open to members of the public. However, there will be plenty of space for social distancing.
- You must pre-book your visit date and arrival time. If you arrive late for your entry slot we will do our best to admit you as soon as we can.
- To maintain social distancing, we can accommodate a bubble of up to 35 people per time slot (students and adults). The adult:student ratio should be at least 1:4 for Early Years, 1:8 for KS2 and 1:10 for KS3 upwards. Proactive supervision is required at all times.
- Toilet facilities are available throughout the museum and these facilities are also open to members of the public.
- Face coverings must be worn by anyone over the age of 11 unless they are exempt. This is in line with government guidelines. Please see our FAQs for more information.
- An enhanced cleaning regime is in place and hand sanitisers are located throughout the museum. For more information on our safety measures, please see our FAQs.
- There is an indoor picnic area in our Bistro and outdoor picnic benches but these cannot be pre-booked. These picnic areas are shared with members of the public.
- If you leave the museum your group will not be able to re-enter, except in the case of an evacuation.
- Your class will enter and leave via the main entrance and exit along with other visitors. We will have social distancing in place to ensure everyone's safety.
- New Warehouse and the Air and Space Hall are open. There is a one-way system around these areas that we ask your group to follow during your visit.
- You will not be able to store coats and bags.
- School groups are not currently allowed to visit our shops or cafes.
- Read our health and safety information to help you complete your risk assessment.
- Our insurance confirmation letter (PDF) provides details about our public liability insurance.
- For more information, please visit our Reopening FAQs page.
If you are unable to make your visit due to a COVID-19 case or any other reason, you must let us know as soon as possible. See our full booking terms.
If any member of your school group bubble has tested positive for COVID-19 or there is a suspected case pending testing, please do not proceed with your visit to the museum and contact us to rearrange or cancel your visit as soon as possible.
If you are unable to make your visit for any other reason, please tell us in writing at least 28 days prior to the visit to rearrange or cancel, otherwise charges will apply.