Bookings are now open for school, college and university visits on Thursdays and Fridays during July 2021.
Our offer has been adapted to ensure the safety of all visitors and adhere to government guidance.
Looking to book a visit next academic year? Sign up to our Learning Newsletter to be contacted when more dates become available.
Explore the museum with a set itinerary to support you moving safely through our spaces. We can admit one established bubble of up to 35 people.
- 10.30–11.00: Revolution Manchester and Textiles Gallery
- 11.00–11.30: Experiment interactive gallery
- 11.30–12.15: Top Secret exhibition (up to 20 people)
- 11.45–12.30: Top Secret exhibition (up to 20 people)
Download our activity sheets to provide a focus for questioning and discovery (or you are welcome to bring your own).
- Schools self-guided visits are currently only available on Wednesdays at 10.30.
- We can accommodate one established bubble of up to 35 people (students and accompanying adults) per date available.
- Please be advised, your visiting bubble must be in a category that is exempt from prevailing government guidelines relating to the number of people who can meet outside the classroom for educational purposes.
- For the purposes of NHS Test and Trace, we are required to ask for contact details for all members of your group over the age of 16. You will be able to provide the names and phone or email details of these group members when booking your visit.
- We are providing a set itinerary for a 2-hour visit (30 minutes in Revolution Manchester and Textiles Gallery, 30 minutes in Experiment and 45 minutes in the Top Secret exhibition).
- Once in the museum you can move around the galleries as a bubble of up to 35 people. You will need to split into two smaller groups to visit the Top Secret exhibition. Please ensure students are accompanied by supervising adults at all times.
Please read the What else do I need to know? section below and have this information ready:
- Name, address and postcode of the school/organisation
- Email address of the school/organisation
- Visit organiser's name, email address and mobile number
- Contact details for all members of your group over the age of 16
- Number of children and age group
- Number of adults
- Any special arrangements required
- To maintain social distancing, we can accommodate an established bubble of up to 35 people per time slot (students and adults). The adult to student ratio should be at least 1:4 for Early Years, 1:8 for KS2 and 1:10 for KS3 upwards. Proactive supervision is required at all times.
- To allow plenty of space for social distancing we are allowing only one school self-guided visit per available day. The museum will also be open to members of the public.
- You must pre-book your visit date and arrival time. If you arrive late for your entry slot we will do our best to admit you as soon as we can.
- Toilet facilities are available throughout the museum and these facilities are also open to members of the public.
- Face coverings must be worn by anyone over the age of 11 unless they are exempt. This is in line with government guidelines.
- An enhanced cleaning regime is in place and hand sanitisers are located throughout the museum.
- There is an indoor picnic area in our Bistro but this cannot be pre-booked. This picnic area is shared with members of the public.
- If you leave the museum your group will not be able to re-enter, except in the case of an evacuation.
- Your class will enter and leave via the main entrance and exit along with other visitors. We will have social distancing in place to ensure everyone’s safety.
- We cannot currently provide free storage for coats and bags.
- New Warehouse is open. There is a one-way system around these areas that we ask your group to follow during your visit.
- School groups are not currently allowed to visit our shops or cafes.
- Read our health and safety information and hazard identification sheet to help you complete your risk assessment.
- Our insurance confirmation letter (PDF) provides details about our public liability insurance.
- For more information, please visit our FAQs page.
If you are unable to make your visit due to a COVID-19 case or any other reason, you must let us know as soon as possible. See our full booking terms.
If any member of your school group bubble has tested positive for COVID-19 or there is a suspected case pending testing, please do not proceed with your visit to the museum and contact us to rearrange or cancel your visit as soon as possible.
If you are unable to make your visit for any other reason, please tell us in writing at least 28 days prior to the visit to rearrange or cancel, otherwise charges will apply.
Call 033 0058 0058 to book your tickets. We will process your request and send confirmation by an automated email.